Vegetarian Surinaamse Nasi Recipe
- 1 cup Basmati Rice
- 2 cups Water
- 1 Onion
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Ground Coriander
- 1 tsp Ground Turmeric
- 1 tsp Ground Allspice
- 1-2 Fresh Chilis (deseeded and chopped)
- 1 Bell Pepper (diced)
- 1 Carrot (diced)
- 1 cup Frozen Peas
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 2 Eggs (beaten)
- Rinse the Basmati Rice and cook it according to the package instructions. Once cooked, fluff it up with a fork and set it aside.
- Heat the Vegetable Oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the Onion and Garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the Onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the Cumin, Coriander, Turmeric and Allspice to the pan. Cook for 1 minute to release their flavors.
- Add the Chilis, Bell Pepper, Carrot and Peas to the pan. Cook for 5-7 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft.
- Push the vegetables to one side of the pan and add the beaten Eggs to the other side. Scramble the Eggs until they are cooked through, then stir them into the vegetables.
- Add the Soy Sauce and Brown Sugar to the pan, along with the cooked Rice. Stir everything together until well combined.
- Taste the Nasi and season with Salt and Pepper as needed.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Surinaamse Nasi is a flavorful, fragrant dish that is a staple in Surinamese cuisine. This recipe is a vegetarian version that is perfect for anyone looking for a meatless alternative. The combination of Basmati Rice, spices and vegetables come together to create a dish that is both delicious and nutritious.
The secret to making this dish is in the seasoning. The spices used in this recipe are what give the Nasi its unique flavor. Cumin, Coriander, Turmeric and Allspice add depth and complexity, while fresh Chilis give it a bit of heat. The Soy Sauce and Brown Sugar add a touch of sweetness that balances the flavors perfectly.
To make this dish even more special, I like to use Basmati Rice. It has a delicate, nutty flavor that pairs beautifully with the spices in the Nasi. The combination of the fluffy Rice, tender Vegetables and scrambled Eggs makes this dish a wholesome and satisfying meal that can be enjoyed any time of the day.
This Vegetarian Surinaamse Nasi Recipe is not only easy to make, but also affordable and versatile. You can use whatever Vegetables you have on hand, making it a great dish for using up any leftover produce. Plus, it makes for great leftovers that can be reheated the next day for a quick and satisfying meal.
So go ahead and give this recipe a try – I guarantee you won’t be disappointed!