The Perfect Pizza Sauce Recipe
There’s simply nothing like a homemade pizza with fresh ingredients, and the sauce is the core foundation of the entire recipe. The sauce is what gives life to the pizza’s flavor, and it’s what makes each pizza unique. Even a simple pizza sauce is versatile enough to make any pizza taste amazing! There’s just something about crafting your own pizza sauce that can elevate any pizza, and make it all the more special. Over the years, I’ve discovered many tricks and tweaks to perfecting the ultimate pizza sauce recipe, and today, I’m excited to share it with you!
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes (28 oz)
- 1 tablespoon of diced garlic
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the diced garlic and cook until the garlic is fragrant and lightly golden.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, salt, sugar, pepper, and oregano. Mix well.
- Let the sauce simmer for at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the sauce has cooked down and thickened slightly, turn off the heat and allow the sauce to cool for a few minutes.
- Puree the sauce using a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Add fresh basil and mix well.
- Store in airtight containers in the fridge or freezer until needed.
Tips and Tricks
Tip 1: It’s essential to sauté garlic to enhance its flavor as it will be the base of the pizza sauce.
Tip 2: Use high-quality canned crushed tomatoes for the best flavor.
Tip 3: Simmering the sauce for an extended period increases the depth and complexity of flavors.
Tip 4: Do not overheat the sauce. One needs to let the sauce cool for a few minutes before blending it.
Tip 5: For variants, you can consider dried thyme, marjoram, and red pepper flakes in addition to the ingredients mentioned above.