The Ultimate Guide to Surinaamse Bami
Surinaamse Bami is a traditional Surinamese dish that is popular in Suriname as well as in the Netherlands. The dish is made up of egg noodles, vegetables, and meat. The flavor of Surinaamse Bami is a unique blend of Indian, Indonesian, African, and Dutch cuisine. In this recipe article, we will explore the best ingredients to use when making Surinaamse Bami and provide step-by-step instructions for how to make this delicious dish.
- 1 pound of egg noodles
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of ketchup
- 2 tablespoons of sweet soy sauce (kecap manis)
- 1 tablespoon of sambal oelek (chili paste)
- 1 cup of diced chicken or pork, or 1 pound of shrimp
- 2 cups of mixed vegetables (such as carrots, green beans, and bell pepper), chopped
- Prepare the egg noodles according to the package instructions and set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the diced onion and minced garlic and cook until the onion is translucent.
- Add the diced chicken or pork to the pan and cook until browned on all sides. If using shrimp, add them after the vegetables have cooked.
- Add the mixed vegetables to the pan and cook until they are slightly softened.
- Add the cooked egg noodles to the pan and toss with the vegetables and meat.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the salt, soy sauce, ketchup, sweet soy sauce, and sambal oelek until well combined.
- Add the sauce to the pan with the noodles and vegetables and toss until everything is well coated.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Surinaamse Bami is a versatile dish that can be customized to your liking. You can use any meat or seafood you prefer, or you can make it vegetarian by using only vegetables. You can also adjust the level of spiciness by adding more or less sambal oelek.
This dish is also great for meal prep because it stores well in the fridge for up to four days. Simply divide it into individual servings and store in airtight containers.
Another great tip for making Surinaamse Bami is to cook the egg noodles separately from the other ingredients. This prevents the noodles from becoming too mushy and allows for easier tossing with the vegetables and meat.
Overall, Surinaamse Bami is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that is full of flavor and perfect for any occasion. Give it a try and enjoy the wonderful blend of Surinamese and Dutch cuisine!