The Health Benefits of Surinaamse Nasi
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1 cup mixed vegetables, chopped (ex. carrots, peas, corn)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet or wok over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion and minced garlic and sauté until fragrant and golden brown.
- Add mixed vegetables and stir fry for about 3-5 minutes until tender.
- Add all the spices and continue stirring for another minute.
- Add cooked white rice to the skillet or wok and stir well until the rice is coated with the spices and vegetables.
- Add soy sauce and salt to taste and continue stirring until everything is well combined and heated through.
- Remove from heat and serve hot, garnished with chopped cilantro if desired.
Surinaamse Nasi, also known as Surinamese fried rice, is a delicious and healthy dish that originated from the beautiful country of Suriname. This dish is a combination of Chinese and Indonesian cuisine, which was brought over by the immigrants who settled in Suriname.
The name “nasi” is Indonesian for “rice,” and this dish has become a staple in Surinamese cuisine. It’s an easy, quick, and affordable meal that tastes great and is good for your health.
If you’re looking for a way to add more vegetables into your diet, Surinaamse Nasi is a great option. The recipe calls for mixed vegetables such as carrots, peas, and corn, which provide essential vitamins and minerals, such as Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and fiber.
The spices used in this recipe, such as cumin, coriander, turmeric, and cayenne pepper, not only add depth of flavor but also offer many health benefits. For example, turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties, while cumin can improve digestion. Adding spices to your meals is an easy way to enhance the nutritional value of your food.
Surinaamse Nasi is a versatile dish that can be served as a main course or as a side dish with proteins such as chicken, beef, or shrimp. It’s also a great meal prep option that can be stored in the refrigerator or freezer for later consumption.
This recipe is my go-to meal when I want something quick, easy, and healthy. Plus, it’s a great way to use leftover rice and vegetables. So, try this recipe out, and let me know what you think. Enjoy!