The Best Homemade Cannelloni Recipe
Welcome to my homemade cannelloni recipe! Cannelloni is a classic Italian dish that is perfect for special occasions or a cozy home-cooked meal. In this recipe, I will show you how to make the perfect pasta dough, creamy ricotta filling, and flavorful tomato sauce. With a few simple tricks and techniques, you can make the best cannelloni you have ever tasted.
- For the pasta:
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-2 tbsp water
- For the filling:
- 2 cups of ricotta cheese
- 1 cup of spinach, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For the sauce:
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes (28 oz)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
Step 1: Make the Pasta Dough
- On a clean surface, pile up the flour and make a well in the center.
- Add the eggs and salt in the center of the well and start whisking with a fork, gradually mixing the flour from the edges until a thick dough is formed.
- Knead the dough for at least 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. If the dough feels too sticky, add a little flour. If it is too dry, add some water. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let it rest for 30 minutes.
Step 2: Make the Filling
- In a mixing bowl, add the ricotta cheese, spinach, garlic, Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Spoon the filling into a piping bag or a plastic ziplock bag, cut one corner, and set aside.
Step 3: Make the Sauce
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Simmer the sauce for 20-30 minutes until thickened.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
Step 4: Assemble the Cannelloni
- Divide the pasta dough into four portions.
- Roll out one portion into a thin rectangular sheet, about 1/8 inch thickness.
- Cut the sheet into squares, about 4 inches by 4 inches.
- Pipe the filling onto each square and roll them tightly to form a cylinder.
- Place the cannelloni in a baking dish, seam side down.
- Cover the cannelloni with the tomato sauce and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Step 5: Bake the Cannelloni
- Bake the cannelloni for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and crispy on top.
- Let the cannelloni rest for a few minutes before serving.
- Garnish with fresh basil or parsley, if desired.
There is nothing quite like a homemade cannelloni that is prepared with love and care. With a little practice, you can master the art of making pasta dough and the ricotta filling in no time. This recipe is perfect for a special occasion or a cozy dinner with loved ones. Serve with a crisp salad and a glass of red wine for the perfect Italian-inspired meal!