Sweet Potato Gnocchi Recipe with Garlic and Herb Sauce
Sweet potato gnocchi is a comforting and delicious dish that is perfect for a cozy dinner or a special occasion. This recipe combines the natural sweetness of sweet potatoes with the savory taste of garlic and herbs, for a mouthwatering and satisfying meal. Making gnocchi from scratch is easier than you might think, and the result is much fresher and richer in flavor than store-bought versions.
In this article, I will guide you through the process of making sweet potato gnocchi with garlic and herb sauce, step-by-step. I will also share some cool tricks and facts about this dish, so you can impress your guests with your culinary skills and knowledge. Let’s get started!
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and boiled until tender
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp salt
- For the sauce:
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mash the boiled sweet potatoes in a large bowl, until they are smooth and free of lumps.
- Add the flour, egg, and salt to the bowl, and mix well, until a dough forms.
- Dust a clean work surface with flour, and knead the dough for a few minutes, until it is smooth and elastic.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces, and roll each piece into a long rope, about 1 inch thick.
- Cut each rope into 1-inch pieces, and use the back of a fork to make ridges on each piece.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, and add the gnocchi to the pot.
- Cook the gnocchi for 2-3 minutes, or until they float to the surface, and then remove them from the water with a slotted spoon.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat, and add the minced garlic.
- Cook the garlic for 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant, and then add the chopped herbs, salt, and pepper.
- Add the cooked gnocchi to the saucepan, and toss gently to coat them with the sauce.
- Sprinkle the grated Parmesan cheese over the gnocchi, and serve hot.
Cool Tricks and Facts
Did you know that gnocchi are traditionally made with potatoes and flour, but there are many variations that use other vegetables or even cheese? Sweet potatoes are a popular choice for gnocchi, as they add a natural sweetness and a vibrant color to the dish.
When making gnocchi, it’s important to use the right amount of flour, so that the dough doesn’t become too sticky or too dry. You can adjust the amount of flour based on the texture of your dough, and add more if needed. You want the dough to be smooth and pliable, but not too sticky or wet.
If you don’t have a fork to make ridges on your gnocchi, you can use a gnocchi board or a plain surface, such as the back of a butter knife, to create small lines that help the sauce cling to the pasta.