Homemade Oliebollen Recipe: How to Make the Perfect Dough
Have you ever tried the Dutch delicacy called Oliebollen? These delicious doughnuts are typically enjoyed during the winter holidays in the Netherlands and are a must-try for anyone who loves food. They are crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside, and filled with delicious flavors. Unfortunately, these treats can be hard to come by outside of the Netherlands. That’s why I’m sharing my favorite Homemade Oliebollen Recipe so you can enjoy this delicious treat in the comfort of your own home.
I have been experimenting with this recipe for years and I believe that I’ve finally perfected it. In this article, I’ll share my tips and tricks for making the perfect dough, including the right ingredients, mixing techniques, and frying temperatures.
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon of active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 cup of lukewarm milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of raisins (optional)
- 1/4 cup of currants (optional)
- 1/2 cup of chopped apples (optional)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, yeast, sugar, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Add the lukewarm milk, eggs and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly, until the batter is smooth and lump-free.
- If desired, stir in the raisins, currants and chopped apples.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it rise in a warm place for 1 hour, or until it has doubled in size.
- Heat up the vegetable oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven on medium-high heat until it reaches a temperature of approximately 375°F (190°C).
- Use a spoon or ice cream scoop to portion out balls of dough, about 2-3 tablespoons each.
- Carefully drop the balls of dough into the hot oil and fry for about 5-7 minutes, or until they are golden brown and crispy on the outside and cooked through on the inside.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the Oliebollen from the pot and place them on a wire rack to cool for a few minutes before dusting them generously with powdered sugar.