Gnocchi alla Sorrentina: A Traditional Italian Dish
Gnocchi alla Sorrentina is a mouthwatering Italian dish consisting of potato gnocchi, tomato sauce, mozzarella, and parmesan cheese, typically baked in the oven. This delicious dish originates from Sorrento, a beautiful coastal town located in the Campania region of southern Italy. It is a classic example of Italian comfort food, rich and flavorful with a heartwarming aroma. Gnocchi alla Sorrentina is perfect for serving on a cozy evening amongst family and friends, paired with a robust red wine, and a side salad.
- 1.5 lbs. of potato gnocchi
- 2 cups of marinara sauce
- 2 cups of fresh mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- A handful of fresh basil leaves
- Salt, pepper, and olive oil to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375ºF (190ºC).
- Start by boiling salted water in a large pot and cook your potato gnocchi for 2-3 minutes, until they float to the surface of the water. Do not overcook them, as you do not want them to become mushy. Drain the gnocchi and set them aside.
- In a skillet, heat up the marinara sauce, and season with salt, pepper, and olive oil.
- Combine your cooked potato gnocchi with the heated marinara sauce in the skillet and mix together well.
- Take an oven-safe baking dish and layer the bottom with half of the gnocchi mixture.
- Add a generous amount of mozzarella cheese on top of the gnocchi mixture.
- Repeat with the remaining gnocchi mixture, followed by another layer of mozzarella cheese.
- Sprinkle the grated parmesan cheese on top of the mozzarella cheese to create a delicious crust.
- Top everything with fresh basil leaves, and place the dish in the preheated oven to bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and has turned golden brown.
- Remove the Gnocchi alla Sorrentina from the oven and let it cool down for 5 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with extra fresh basil leaves and parmesan cheese to taste and enjoy!
I have lived in Italy for many years and have learned to appreciate the beauty and simplicity of Italian cuisine. One of my favorite Italian dishes is Gnocchi alla Sorrentina because it is rich, comforting, and never fails to delight my taste buds. Gnocchi alla Sorrentina may seem like a daunting dish to prepare, but it’s actually quite easy to make, especially with the right ingredients and instructions.
One of my favorite tricks to creating perfect Gnocchi alla Sorrentina is to use fresh ingredients, which bring out the best flavors in the dish. Always choose fresh potatoes instead of dehydrated potato flakes and make your own marinara sauce and invest in good quality mozzarella and parmesan cheese to get the best flavor profiles.
In conclusion, Gnocchi alla Sorrentina is a classic Italian dish that you need to try. With its warm and inviting aroma, melted cheese, and deliciously soft potato gnocchi, it’s a recipe that will have people complimenting your cooking skills for days! Follow these simple instructions and enjoy a classic Italian dish right in the comfort of your home.