Eggless Appeltaart Recipe
- For the dough:
- 300g all-purpose flour
- 150g unsalted vegan margarine
- 75g granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- A pinch of salt
- 4-5 tbsp cold water
- For the filling:
- 1kg tart cooking apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 50g unsalted vegan margarine
- 50g brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 50g raisins or sultanas
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Cut in the margarine until the mixture is crumbly. Add the water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough comes together. Knead a few times until smooth, shape into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6. Grease a 23cm springform cake tin and dust with flour.
- Roll out two-thirds of the dough on a lightly floured surface and use it to line the bottom and sides of the tin. Trim off any excess pastry. Use a fork to prick the base all over.
- For the filling, melt the margarine in a large frying pan. Add the apples, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Cook over a medium heat, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes or until the apples soften and the mixture thickens. Stir in the raisins or sultanas.
- Spoon the filling into the pastry case and smooth the top. Roll out the remaining dough and cut it into strips. Arrange the strips in a lattice pattern on top of the filling, pressing the ends into the pastry base to secure. Bake for 40-45 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and crisp, and the filling is bubbling. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before removing and serving.
A Personal Introduction with Cool Tricks and Facts About the Recipe
Appeltaart is a classic Dutch apple pie that is usually made with eggs and butter. However, this eggless appeltaart recipe is suitable for vegans and those with egg allergies. It’s every bit as delicious and satisfying as the traditional version, and it’s a great way to indulge in a wonderful fall dessert! This is one of my favorite recipes to make, and I have a few tips and tricks to make it even better!
Firstly, I use vegan margarine instead of butter in this recipe. This gives the pastry a rich, buttery flavor and a lovely flaky texture. I also add a pinch of salt to enhance the flavor of the pastry. Secondly, I use a mixture of tart cooking apples such as Bramley apples and sweeter apples such as Pink Lady. This makes for a tastier and more balanced filling.
Finally, I like to add a sprinkling of demerara sugar on top of the lattice pastry before baking. This gives the pie a lovely crunchy topping and a hint of caramel flavor. It’s the perfect finishing touch that takes this eggless appeltaart to new heights!