Classic Potato Gnocchi Recipe for Beginners
- 2 pounds potatoes
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Wash and prick the potatoes with a fork.
- Bake the potatoes in the preheated oven for about 1 hour or until they are well cooked.
- Peel and mash the potatoes while they are still hot.
- Add the flour, egg, and salt.
- Knead the mixture until you have a smooth dough.
- Let the dough rest for about 10 minutes.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough into long cylinders, about the width of your thumb.
- Cut the cylinders into pieces about 1 inch long.
- Press each piece with a fork to create ridges.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the gnocchi to the boiling water and wait until they rise to the surface.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the cooked gnocchi into a serving dish.
- Serve them hot with your favorite sauce.
There are few foods as satisfying as a plate of homemade potato gnocchi. These little dumplings, which originated in Italy, are usually made from potatoes, flour, and egg. They can be served with many different toppings, such as tomato sauce, pesto, or butter and cheese. Plus, there is something particularly special about making your own gnocchi from scratch.
While some may find the process intimidating, making classic potato gnocchi is actually quite simple, and even beginners can master the recipe with just a bit of practice. In fact, many of the ingredients and steps are probably already familiar to anyone who has made bread or pasta before.
Cool Tricks and Facts:
- Use a potato ricer or a food mill to make sure the potatoes are smooth and lump-free.
- Don’t over knead the dough, or the gnocchi will end up tough instead of light and tender.
- Pressing the gnocchi with a fork is not only decorative, but it also helps the sauce adhere to the pasta.
- If you want to freeze the gnocchi, do it before boiling them. Place them on a tray lined with parchment paper and freeze them. Once frozen, you can transfer them to a freezer bag or container.
- Potato gnocchi is a classic Italian recipe that is enjoyed all over the world.