Classic Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk, room temperature
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease two 9-inch round cake pans with cooking spray and flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together until combined. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk milk, oil, eggs, and vanilla extract together until well combined.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until smooth.
- Slowly pour in the boiling water and stir until the batter is smooth and well combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two greased cake pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then remove them from the pans and transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the cakes are cool, frost and decorate as desired.
- Serve and enjoy!
Chocolate cake has been a classic dessert for generations. It’s the perfect indulgence after a satisfying meal or as a standalone treat. There’s something about chocolate cake that makes people light up with joy when they see it on the table. It’s a versatile dessert and can be served at almost every occasion, be it birthday parties, weddings, or even corporate events.
But making the perfect chocolate cake can be tricky. The cake has to be moist, fluffy, and rich in chocolate flavor. Here is one of the most popular classic chocolate cake recipes out there that is sure to be a hit with everyone who tries it.
If you want an extra chocolatey flavor, add a tablespoon or two of instant coffee granules to the boiling water. The coffee enhances the chocolate flavor and deepens the color of the cake.
Facts about the recipe
- This recipe uses oil instead of butter, which makes the cake extra moist and fluffy.
- The use of baking soda and baking powder provides the perfect rise to the cake.
- The boiling water is a crucial ingredient used to give the cake a rich, fudgy texture.
- This recipe can be easily doubled if you need to make a larger cake.
- The cake can be topped with frosting of your choice, chocolate ganache, or fruit.