Classic Belgian Beef Stew Recipe for the Perfect Winter Night
Winter is the perfect time to indulge in hearty and comforting food, and nothing beats a classic Belgian beef stew. This recipe has been passed down from generation to generation in my family, and I have perfected it over the years. The key to creating the perfect stew is to take your time and let the flavors develop. In this recipe, the beef is slow-cooked to perfection, and the vegetables, herbs, and spices create a fragrant and delicious broth that is perfect for dipping crusty bread. So, grab a glass of red wine, and let’s get cooking!
Cool trick: Add a tablespoon of cocoa powder to your stew. The cocoa powder helps to deepen the flavor and gives the stew a richer, darker color.
- 2 pounds beef chuck, cubed
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup red wine
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 3 celery sticks, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season the beef with salt and pepper, and then coat with flour. Brown the beef in the Dutch oven until golden brown on all sides, and then remove it from the pot.
- Add the garlic, onions, carrots, and celery to the Dutch oven, and sauté until the vegetables are tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the beef broth, red wine, bay leaves, thyme, tomato paste, honey, and cocoa powder (if using) to the Dutch oven, and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Add the beef back to the Dutch oven, and make sure it is immersed in the liquid.
- Cover the Dutch oven with a lid, and transfer it to the oven. Bake for 2-3 hours, or until the beef is tender and falls apart easily.
- Season the stew with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot with crusty bread or over mashed potatoes.
So, there you have it, my classic Belgian beef stew recipe. It’s the perfect meal for a cold winter night, and it’s sure to warm you up from the inside out. Don’t forget to pair it with a nice glass of red wine for the ultimate dining experience. Enjoy!