Butternut Squash and Bacon Risotto Recipe
Are you in the mood for a comforting, heartwarming meal that’s packed with flavor? Look no further than this Butternut Squash and Bacon Risotto recipe! This dish is perfect for a cozy night in, and it’s very simple to make. The creaminess of the risotto pairs perfectly with the sweet butternut squash and salty bacon – trust us, your taste buds will thank you!
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and diced into small cubes
- 6-8 slices of bacon, diced
- 1 small onion, diced finely
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth, heated
- 1/2 cup white wine (optional)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a large pan, cook the diced bacon over medium heat until crispy. Remove from pan and set aside on paper towels to drain.
2. In the same pan with the bacon grease, add the diced butternut squash and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until the squash is tender. Remove from pan and set aside.
3. In the same pan, add the diced onion and minced garlic, and cook until the onion is soft and translucent.
4. Add the Arborio rice and stir until the rice is coated with the bacon grease and onion mixture, about 2 minutes.
5. If using white wine, pour it into the pan and stir until it’s absorbed by the rice.
6. Add one cup of the heated broth into the pan, and stir until it’s absorbed by the Arborio rice. Continue adding the broth one cup at a time, stirring frequently and allowing each cup to be fully absorbed before adding the next.
7. After adding the final cup of broth, add the cooked butternut squash and bacon to the pan, stirring gently to combine.
8. Stir in the freshly grated Parmesan cheese until it’s melted into the risotto.
9. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
10. Serve hot and enjoy!
Ahh, risotto – it’s one of my favorite comfort foods, and this Butternut Squash and Bacon Risotto is a recipe that I just can’t resist. The creamy texture makes me feel like I’m eating something indulgent, but the sweetness of the butternut squash keeps it from being too heavy. Plus, who doesn’t love bacon? It adds a great savory flavor to the dish that pairs nicely with the sweetness of the squash.
One of my favorite things about this recipe is how customizable it can be. Don’t have white wine? No problem – just skip that step! Want to add some spinach or kale for some extra veggies? Go for it! Risotto is a great base recipe that can be easily tweaked to suit anyone’s tastes or dietary needs.
Another cool fact about risotto – did you know that it’s traditionally served as a first course in Italy? It’s often referred to as “risotto alla milanese” and is made with saffron and Parmesan cheese, and is typically served before the main course. However, I’ll happily eat this Butternut Squash and Bacon Risotto as my main meal any day!